Sir Bobby Charlton insists Wayne Rooney will not be leaving Manchester United at the end of the the season.
Rooney has been linked with a move away from Old Trafford after he was left out of Manchester United's starting XI for their Champions League last-16 tie against Real Madrid last week.
Reports suggested he could be allowed to leave because of a breakdown in his relationship with boss Sir Alex Ferguson, as well as concerns over his fitness.
Ferguson moved quickly to dispel the rumours that he could be on his way out with Bayern Munich and Paris Saint-Germain said to be interested, describing them as 'nonsense'.
Now Charlton, who made over 600 appearances for Manchester United and is now a member of the board of directors at Old Trafford, has spoken out on the matter, and believes the club are unliekly to let a player of Rooney's quality leave to join a major European rival.
"I think that is a bit premature," said Charlton when told of the alleged interest from Bayern. "I don't know everything that happens at Manchester United, but I know a little.
"Wayne Rooney maybe has had an injury and has not performed as well as he might have done, but that doesn't mean to say that you get rid of him.
"Sir Alex Ferguson came out and said that he had no intention of letting Wayne Rooney go anywhere.
"You have to abide by that and I believe it, 100%. He is a great player - why should we get rid of a great player?"
Rooney started against Chelsea in the Red Devils' 2-2 FA Cup 6th round draw against Chelsea on Sunday, bagging his side's second of the game after 11 minutes.
Bayern Munich honorary president Franz Beckenbauer added fuel to the fire by suggesting he would be happy to see Rooney arrive at the Allianz Arena - but yesterday Ferguson insisted that the 27-year-old would be offered a new deal to keep him at Old Trafford in the summer.